Tuesday, November 9, 2010

First round of Chemotherapy


November 9, 2010

Josie is handling chemotherapy pretty well so far.  She has started throwing up as of this last Friday morning.  Aunt Tara (my brother Josh’s wife) was staying overnight with Josie to give us a much needed break and ended up witnessing the first bout of yuck.  Josie has now thrown up multiple times, but the doctor does not think it is chemo related since it has been several days since her last dose and typically the nausea starts the day of or the day after treatment.  My belief is that she has started refluxing again – like she did while she was home with us.  They are keeping a close eye on her and are trying a couple different things to see if it helps her.  The main concern is they do not want her to get anything in her lungs and cause her to get sick.  Keep praying that she stays healthy as well as Marc and me.  If one of us gets sick, it means we cannot be up here with her and that would be downright rotten. L

Many people have asked about Josie’s treatment and what that looks like for a baby. The treatment that she is being given is part of a new treatment plan based out of a hospital in Los Angeles.  She receives 3 different chemotherapy drugs throughout the cycle.  One drug is a onetime dose the first day of the cycle, one drug is given once a week for 3 weeks of the cycle and the third drug is given for the first 5 days of the cycle.  Don’t quote me on all of this information, as we are still trying to wrap our minds around the whole process ourselves.  At day 7-10 of the cycle, Josie will probably be at her lowest point because her white blood cells will be low and it is harder to fight off infections.  Tomorrow starts day 7 of the cycle – they draw her blood levels every other day and will watch her closely.   After each cycle, she will probably have some type of scan done to see how the tumor is responding to treatment.  If after a couple of cycles they find that the tumor is not responding, they have another option of a 4 drug chemotherapy treatment.  It’s not necessarily a stronger treatment, just targeting the tumor differently.  At this point though, we just wait and pray.

Yesterday she had a surgical procedure done to place a broviac line in her chest.  This is a more permanent and safer port that she can have in for an extended period of time for chemotherapy.  Everything went fine with the procedure – it took a little longer since she is an infant and her veins are very tiny.  When the time comes for her to go home, the line will remain in and we will be able to use it to administer medication at home.

I had a glimpse of hope today as Josie looked at me and actually smiled and shortly after that gave me another smile along with some itty bitty coo's.  My heart melted, I must say!  It feels like things are clicking back into place for her - like she is coming out of the fog of all the surgery and drugs in her system.  When we thought we might lose her the night of her surgery, one of the only things that kept going through my mind, was her precious smile, the thought of not seeing that smile again tore me up.  I asked God that night, that if He spared Josie’s life that I might see her smile again.  Thank you God for answered prayer and proof that He cares about even the smallest things like a smile!

A friend of mine wrote me today and said, “I don’t know how to make sense of Josie’s suffering.”  I pondered her words for a while throughout the evening, my conclusion: I can't make sense of Josie's suffering either.  It makes it all the harder when I can't just pick up my baby and comfort her because I have to be so careful not to pull any wires and cords; and I can only hold her a certain way because she is missing part of her skull; and that sometimes picking her up to hold her makes her more uncomfortable than she was just lying in her bed.  Some days it stretches me extremely thin, yet each day, I realize that God has put Josie in our life and her life is for a reason, no matter how long or short her days may be on this earth.  God has a much bigger picture than I can ever understand, in fact he has the whole picture and every brush stroke of that picture is perfectly painted – including Josie.  With that truth, I am secure – it doesn’t mean we won’t have a lot of tears and heartache for our baby girl to have a “normal” life or even life in general.  The strokes seem harsh right now, but they are forever making the final picture glorious.  For right now though, I am looking at the beautiful brush stroke of a miraculous baby smile. 

Blessings (and hopefully a restful night here with Lil’ Jo),
Marc & Darcia

No comments:

Post a Comment